Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Mania

While we were getting ready for our Superbowl party I found Madeleine in her father's closet borrowing one of his Cougar shirts. "What'cha doing?" I asked, "getting ready for the big game? Do you know that the Cougs aren't playing in the Superbowl this time?"

"Oh," she looked stumped. "So what am I supposed to wear?" Apparently the Cougar indoctrination runs deeper than I suspected.

Just before our guests arrived I finished setting out the food: Cheese tray. Cranberry walnut bread. Asian chicken salad with spinach.... And lots of fresh fruit. Just as I was proudly surveying the feast Jeremy walked in the kitchen and stopped fast. "What?" I asked. "Is this too much like chick-food for a Super Bowl party?"


"It's totally gay," he said with a smile. "But I love you and I'm not complaining. I'm just happy you're willing to watch the game." The true reason he didn't mind my chick food is that he and my brother had their own snacks prepared:

Chips.

Caffeine.



And Jeremy's second annual Super Bowl "Bacon Explosion." Our house still smells like meat.


The good news is that in the last quarter of the game I took advantage of my young nephews and made some bets with them on who would win. And I am now the proud winner of a free babysitting voucher and a one time toilet cleaning. It wasn't until after they lost that they thought to say, "Aunt Lauren, I think gambling is wrong?" Well, it's a little late for those kind of morals isn't it my chickadees! Hooray for Superbowl parties!



4 comments:

  1. Dang, your Superbowl food looks better than ours was. I decided to be a frugal Mormon woman and use chicken from the cannery instead of normal chicken in my Buffalo Chicken Dip. Big mistake. Guess what, frugal food storage food is gross. Anyway, I would have much rather been dining on your gay food and Jeremy's most ungay food ever created.

    P.S. If the Cougs ever make it to the Superbowl maybe I'll actually watch and not just eat the whole time. Kidding, I know they're not a pro team and I probably wouldn't really stop eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm i don't know what the heck that crap is that Jer made but it looks exactly like....crap. is that even edible?!

    Love you. I'm all about gay food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that "chick" food looks amazing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I was invited to your Superbowl Party! You have a gift with food. And a bacon explosion sounds worth trying, everything's better with bacon, right?

    ReplyDelete